Editor’s note: An earlier version of this story listed the charge as a 2-year felony. Incorrect information was previously provided to the Times Herald.
A Port Huron High School senior has been charged for allegedly making a threat to shoot students.
Brenna Simpson, 17, was arraigned Thursday on a charge of attempted posting of an unlawful message. When she was arrested, police said she lived in Smiths Creek, but court records show her living in Burtchville Township.
Prosecutor Mike Wendling said the charge is a 1-year attempted felony, which can also carry up to a $2,500 fine.
Simpson was arrested Monday after School Resource Officer Laura Phillips was notified of the threat by school staff, according to a press release from the Port Huron Police Department.
Police said she had threatened to shoot several students over an ongoing disagreement at school.
The police department had said it was requesting she be charged with report of a threat of terrorism, a 20-year felony.
Bond was set at $25,000, with conditions including no contact with victims, no internet use and no access to the high school property.
Simpson has a pre-trial hearing scheduled for 1 p.m. May 7 in front of Judge Cynthia Platzer.
Paul Cassidy, Simpson’s lawyer, declined comment Thursday afternoon.
“The Port Huron Police Department takes threats of school violence very seriously and they are investigating thoroughly,” the police department said in a statement. “The Port Huron Police Department would like to thank the individuals who brought this information forward to school staff and would like to remind everyone, that if you see of hear something, say something.”
Simpson’s threat case is the fourth in the area since the Parkland, Florida, shooting massacre Feb. 14.
A 14-year-old boy is facing charges after allegedly threatening to shoot up Central Middle School. His threat was posted on a professional football player’s Instagram account. The player notified police and the teen was arrested. He remains in the juvenile facility in Macomb County and has a preliminary examination in juvenile court April 19.
A 15-year-old Fort Gratiot boy who allegedly made a false report of a threat at Port Huron Northern High School in March is in his parents’ custody. He has a preliminary hearing scheduled in juvenile court for April 30.
An Anchor Bay student who reported hearing a threat was suspended, but not expelled nor charged.
Contact Liz Shepard at (810) 989-6273 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow her on Twitter @lvshepard.
Read or Share this story: https://bwne.ws/2vp8Y2E