Former AFL player Shannon Grant will consider fighting criminal allegations, including multiple counts of assault, while prosecutors eye further charges.
The North Melbourne premiership midfielder was arrested at his Highett home last week on 18 charges, including assault, intentionally causing injury and criminal damage.
His lawyer Nicole Spicer has described the case as “personal and private”, saying it could hurt his reputation and family.
Grant, who won the 1999 Norm Smith medal with the Kangaroos, faced Moorabbin Magistrates Court on Wednesday for a brief hearing.
“Mr Grant is obviously concerned about the fact that matters of a personal and private nature relating to him are now a matter of public and media concern,” Ms Spicer said outside court.
Grant, 40, allegedly committed unlawful assaults on three separate occasions in 2017.
It’s also alleged he stomped on a victim’s foot, caused injury by throwing a mobile phone, and damaged a laptop.
Prosecutors said the investigation was ongoing in Victoria and Queensland, and it was possible more charges could be laid.
Ms Spicer said the allegations may be contested.
“He will, where appropriate, be defending the charges and will be addressing them in a full and appropriate manner,” she said.
She said the proceedings were “very difficult” for Grant.
“He is mainly concerned about his family and his capacity to protect his family,” Ms Spicer told reporters.
“He is obtaining support from friends and community members and he’s dealing with the matters seriously.”
Grant’s arrest came two days after his shock resignation from a coaching role with amateur club St Kevin’s Old Boys.
He played 301 AFL games, including 243 for North Melbourne, and won the club’s best and fairest award in 2001.
Grant will return to court for a contest mention on March 29.
Australian Associated Press