NEW YORK – Former NBA star Ben Gordon‘s legal troubles continued over the weekend when he was arrested for allegedly driving with a forged license plate.

Gordon, a Mount Vernon High School alum, was stopped by New York City police at Frederick Douglas Boulevard and 129th Street in Manhattan just after 9 p.m. Sunday, when officers saw what appeared to be a laminated temporary license plate on his car.

A computer check revealed a different expiration date than was displayed on the license plate, according to an NYPD spokesperson.

He was charged with criminal possession of a forged instrument, a misdemeanor, and released without bail. The Manhattan District Attorney‘s Office did not have information on when he must appear in court.

Last month, after police responded to a confrontation between him and his girlfriend in Mount Vernon.

In June, he was arrested in Los Angeles after police accused him of setting off fire alarms in an apartment building. Gordon missed a court appearance in that case and a warrant was issued for his arrest.

Gordon led the University of Connecticut to a national championship as a junior in 2004 before entering the NBA draft. He was selected third by the Chicago Bulls and following the season became the first rookie to ever win the league‘s Sixth Man Award.

His 11-year career included stops in Detroit, Orlando and Charlotte, but fizzled after two preseason games with the Golden State Warriors in 2015.

Gordon tried a comeback earlier this year by playing with the Texas Legends of the NBA G-League.

He opened his new sports-training and rehab business in Mount Vernon, Of Our Own, in September.

On Oct. 21, police officers responded to a call for assistance to find a woman crying inside and claiming she was locked in.

They got her out and she told them Gordon had a knife. A detective looked inside and saw Gordon with a box cutter, but when police later went in and took him out, no box cutter was found.

He was not charged but instead sent to St. Vincent‘s Hospital in Harrison for evaluation.

The 31-year-old woman, who lives in Los Angeles, returned to California the following day. Social media posts showed she was with Gordon again in recent weeks and back in New York this past weekend.

A spokesman for the Los Angeles city attorney said that the bench warrant was still open. He would not answer questions about how widely the warrant was disseminated. The NYPD spokesperson would not say whether the warrant turned up during Gordon‘s arrest Sunday night.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *