The former solicitor Michael Lynn has appeared in court in Dublin charged with the theft of just under €30m.

The 49-year-old, formerly of St Albans, Sandymount, in Dublin, was extradited from Brazil and escorted back to Ireland by gardaí.

He appeared before the Criminal Courts of Justice late this afternoon.

The former solicitor spent five years in Brazil pending extradition.

He was flown out of Recife last night to Frankfurt and arrived in Dublin on the last Aer Lingus flight at 1.20pm this afternoon before all flights were suspended.

Mr Lynn is charged with 21 offences under the Theft and Fraud Act.

He is accused of stealing almost €30m between October 2006 and June 2007.

The court heard the charges relate to seven financial institutions.

Inspector Pat Linehan said he arrested Mr Lynn at Dublin Airport just before 1.50pm this afternoon.

He was brought to Ballymun Garda Station where the 21 charges were put to him. He made no reply to each one.

Gardaí objected to bail because of the seriousness of the charges, the strength of the evidence, the likely sentence upon conviction, his failure to attend other court proceedings and the possibility that the case may be disposed of quickly.

Inspector Linehan said that gardaí tried to meet him in London and Portugal, but at all stages he sought to frustrate the process.

Mr Lynn testified that he made it clear at all times he was willing to meet gardaí abroad, but the process became “complex and convoluted”.He said the first meeting did not happen because his lawyer had another case, while the second case was because of a “misunderstanding” among the lawyers.

He also said he offered to surrender himself for 15 months and no court in Brazil accused him of procrastination or delaying tactics.

The court heard that the President of the High Court had directed he attend to testify under oath in December 2007, but he said today his lawyers advised him not to give evidence in the High Court to protect his right to silence in case of criminal proceedings.

Today, he told the judge: “I am here to answer for the charges. I have no intention of leaving the jurisdiction.

“I need to face these charges and I need to face up to these charges and get this aspect of my life over.

“I have never been a fugitive from Ireland and I’m prepared to abide by any conditions. The day of Ronnie Biggs is over.”

His sister Ann was in court and offered an independent surety of €100,000.

Judge Gerard Jones deliberated before refusing bail. He said Mr Lynn is, and remains, a flight risk.

He said he believes its no coincidence that Mr Lynn chose Brazil, a country with no extradition to Ireland.

Mr Lynn was remanded in custody to appear at the Dublin Circuit Criminal Court on 23 March.

He was granted free legal aid.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *